Friday 17 June 2011

The day I got a wind-burnt face on the Cumbrian Riviera

Right so the Whitehaven Festival is madness. And not only because Madness are on. It's also because Louis Walsh is wandering around (is he lost?) and because Martin Platt is nearby again (I can't seem to shake this guy) but he's very nice so I won't say he's got a Gordon Ramsey hair do again. I will try some of his cheese though (that's no weird euphemism, I mean his actual cheese). And this afternoon Jean-Christophe Novelli, casual as you like (and made-up to the nines), joined the crowd watching our wonderful chef Ryan Blackburn demonstrating mackerel versatility on the big ole cookery stage. Ryan: "I wish I'd gone home now", JC: "hawheeehawheehaw" (joke). Ryan actually went on to mightily impress said top celebrity chef who was very kind and supportive (and is releasing a book all about local food in Cumbria and includes seafood I believe, so check it out), but I do wish Ryan had started putting on his French accent like he joked he would, that would have made my year.
Ryan was totally brilliant, a fantastic demo chef and the only time we had a rush on at the CWT stand during the whole day was when he said that you could get a copy of his recipe from us. Red squirrels heave-ho, today was all about the mackerel rillettes.

There was also a farting nun, Boy George and a LOT of men in uniform.

Get yourself down to Whitehaven Festival this weekend; who knows what Saturday and Sunday will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment