Friday 10 June 2011

Embarrassment and exuberance

There have been no big events since I last posted, unless you count me falling into a hedge as I walked home (sober) from work on Wednesday. Definitely an event for the people watching from the three nearby cars.

However this week I did manage to accost Bob and Helen who make up two thirds of the team of scientific officers for the North West IFCA (that's the Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority); the IFCAs are a fairly new-fangled thing and are a sort of evolution of the old sea fisheries committees. At the time of our encounter Bob and Helen were trying to go home but luckily their levels of patience matched my level of exuberance (apparently if you block someone's exit from the Cumbria Wildlife Trust offices but do it exuberantly, it's ok), and they were brilliantly helpful and knowledgeable.

As I talked about the Wild Oceans project and the dream to link our local inshore fishermen directly with local restaurants, hotels and other businesses I was pleased to have them think it was a good idea. Part of me worries that in my headlong rush to "improve the lives of fishermen and the stocks of fish all at the same time", pausing only to polish my halo, I must remember to consider whether or not the fishermen might actually be happy as they are, have the business links they want already set up and neither want nor need my blundering help. However Bob and Helen were supportive and, as they know a lot more about fishing in the north west than me, made me happy and upped my exuberance levels even more (they regret that now). Helen actually made a brilliant suggestion - don't do it one by one, do a 'do' - get them all in a room together to meet and greet and form links where they are desired.
Good idea or what. I mean, I might have the best intentions but having never actually been fishing, probably shouldn't try to set myself up as some kind of agent for fishermen. For one, I don't really know any and for another, I might start wearing pinstripe suits and smoking cigars.

But my friends, I am out and about and talking to lots of different people from lots of different angles of this seafood lark. For example, I had a nice chat with Mark Salmon (no joke) from the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse from their stand at Country Fest. One of their products is greenlip mussels from New Zealand; mussels are available on the north west coast, are currently under-exploited and best of all could be managed oh so sustainably. Mark said that they would be interested in sourcing more locally if it was possible... well Mark old boy, I think it just might be!

I want to put a local mussel fisherman (picker? I see mussels as a bit like meaty plants) in a room with the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse boss and watch the magic happen (in my head, the fisherman and smokerman are now holding hands, laughing with the joy of finding each other after all this time, and cuddling to the tune of "Could it be Magic"...)

Well watch this space! If it would be helpful and not merely annoying and patronising of me to organise a big meet and greet to increase local purchase of local seafood, then I will. If someone out there would like to comment on the ratio of helpfulness to patronisingness of this idea then please do. I won't expect a huge response to this call-out though, as the majority of my 48 followers are my lovely and loyal friends and family. (Hi Mum).

OK I'm off (leaving, not rotting). I have a piece of line-caught coley and a recipe for gin & tonic batter. I don't expect all of the gin & tonic is required in the batter...?

No comments:

Post a Comment